It's been a while I know but...

So there’s been a little talk about blogging and what kind of behavior bloggers can/should expect from readers who leave comments. It’s really sad, I think that people feel the need to get nasty with others. Now, some people have the point of view that a blog is a public forum and that when one sticks their neck out, they should expect rude comments. Others would say that blogs are like an extension of their homes and that just as you shouldn’t be rude to someone in their home, you shouldn’t be rude on blog comments. I don’t wholly agree or disagree with either school of thought but lets run with the home metaphor.

To some degree, a blog would be like opening the door to your home. Sometimes undesirable things will make their way into your home if you do that. We are sticking ourselves out there to some degree and when you leave your door open and unattended, that is a risk you are taking. Ok. Fine. I can buy that. But let’s say someone decides to say “Oh! Your door is open. Let me just poop on your doorstep.” Is it an option? Yes. Is it ok? No. And let’s be clear. I’m not talking about someone reading someone’s blog and starting discourse by simply disagreeing. I’m talking about people being downright invective. And I’m not talking about political blogs. I’m talking craft blogs. Come on. Is there really a need?

Some have said that blogs are a public forum and that a blogger should set guidelines for behavior. Eh…I’m not sure about that. I don’t think a blog is a democracy. Again, if this is my home and I’ve opened the door, when you poop in my doorway, I can kick you out. And I’m not sure that something like this is so imperceptible that you have to say “Hey, could you not be abusive in your comments?” I’m talking (clearly) from my point of view. Do I want feedback? Yes. I’m new at my crafts and that’s what I’m looking for. Am I open to constructive criticism? Absolutely. But let’s face it, what’s being discussed here isn’t constructive criticism and it’s not healthy dissension. People are trying to be hurtful and it’s completely unnecessary. Many people are simply looking to connect and share.

I wasn't born here but I live in the US. I am all for the first amendment. I think there is honor in defending a right that would have me hear someone spurn all that I stand for. I see the foresight and democracy in that. And I don’t believe that I have a fundamental right not to be offended. Having said that, however, I’m a strong believer in “just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.” And it doesn’t mean it’s ok. And although the abusive individuals are exercising their rights to express themselves, they are doing it in such a way that would perhaps stop others from exercising theirs.

Overall, let me say that I really like being a part of this community and I can say that I’ve experienced more wonderful, witty, funny and caring people than mean-spirited, negative and down right “ucky” people. I really hope bloggers don’t become discouraged by these events and shut down. I know I’ve bored you silly with my rant but bear with me just a bit longer and visit Jane’s post on this. She is much more insightful and eloquent than I. So I think that counts as this week’s site of interest.

And…Oh yeah. I promise a post about actual crafting coming soon. Thanks for reading.

Comments

Harlem Purl said…
Thanks for the rant. It actually got me to thinking about the whole idea of public forum verses extension of you. I beleive that just like there are rude people in the world who have no etiquette skills, there are bloggers among us who rebuff netiquette also. Its just some things that we have to deal with in this crazy mixed up world. However, I do think that the nice, helpful bloggers, far outweigh the mean ones. Dontcha think?

Popular posts from this blog

Checking In With Actual FO's!!!

I Stink.

Overuse of My Camera Phone